Monday, October 29, 2007

Apparently the Lions are Good

I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do now...

It's been seven years (!) since the last time the Lions were three games above .500. Seven years. In that time Matt Millen was brought in and turned this team into the laughingstock of the NFL. Multiple wide receivers were drafted, horrible quarterbacks were brought in and a lot of losing occured. Normally at this time of year the Lions' season is already over and I'm looking for the team to sandbag for a high draft pick. Now all of a sudden the Lions are apparently a good team again, and I don't really know how I'm supposed to react.

Part of me wants to be excited that there is a good football team to root for again. The other part of me is waiting for the shoe to drop and the bottom to fall out. I think I'm going to go with tepid enthusiasm. Before the season I thought this team would go 9-7 (though I had them at 4-3 at this point) and I'm not going to change that. Yesterday's win showed that the Lions can beat a bad team (and don't kid yourselves, the Bears are a BAD team) on the road when they needed a big win. That is something that the Lions of yore haven't been able to do. They had a solid run game and didn't turn the ball over. A great overall effort. Are the Lions going to the Super Bowl? No. But if they don't make the playoffs I'll be very disappointed at this point.

So while I'm not ready to start planning the parade down Woodward, I am ready to get excited about this football team taking the next step and getting to the playoffs. It's much nicer than looking ahead to the draft after week 8. GO LIONS!

No comments: