Monday, March 5, 2007

Well That Was Just Freaking Great

A happier moment from Saturday's kick to the groin

Well that's what I get for having hope. Michigan had a chance Saturday to make a statement and possibly make it to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since I graduated from high school (which is becoming an increasingly long time ago), and what did they do? They choked it away.

The Wolverines had the number one ranked Buckeyes on the ropes and they let them off the hook. The momentum was on their side with a six point lead heading into the final TV time out (approx. 3:54 left in the game) and then apparently they forgot how to play down the stretch and blew it. Courtney Simms misses a freaking dunk that would have tied it up, and Dion Harris (86% from the line) misses the front end of a one-and-one that could have tied it as well. Michigan didn't score again after that last TV timeout. Sad.

I'm starting to forget how it feels to follow a college basketball team that doesn't constantly kick me in the groin and force me to bash my head against the wall repeatedly. I was to the point where I was almost expecting the collapse. Unfortunately when Michigan took that late lead and the momentum was all in their favor I let down some of the pessimism and really thought they were going to win. I suppose that teaches me for believing in this team.

Now the only way Michigan is getting a whiff of the Big Dance is to beat Minnesota, Ohio State and maybe even ANOTHER opponent in the Big Ten tournament. Maybe Michigan can put together a run and make us all believers, and I'm sure if they beat Minnesota I'll get roped into thinking they could take it to Ohio State and maybe this time come out on top, but in the end until they show they can put a great team away I'll always be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

No comments: