Sunday, December 24, 2006

Lions Aren't Just Horrible at Football, Fans Also Suck at Protesting....

Those signs are so cute...almost makes me want to give a damn

So as you've probably heard, today was the big day for Lions fans as the whole "Fire Millen" movement was supposed to hit it's crescendo when, at the 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter, all the Lions fans were going to walk out and "show the Lions." Well lord knows I am always one to watch a bunch of idiots try to affect change by planning something stupid (like walking out on a game you already paid for...way to damn the man!) so I went to the game, and here's what happened....

I sit in my normal seat (my family has season tickets...yeah...we're dumb) and immediately notice that the majority of the crowd seems to be Bears fans, in fact when the Bears were introduced the crowd roared more then booed, which told the story right there. I haven't seen this much orange on grown men in a long time.

As always the dregs of our society decided to do their best to make some signs to mark this occasion and also to show off their wit and hilarity to the world. Two stuck out in particular to me....A Bears fan who was sitting about three rows in front of me stood up and showed of his sign that said,

"Bears Fans Say....KEEP MILLEN!"

ZING~! Wow, now that is quite a funny sign. I mean normally people bring "FIRE MILLEN" signs, but this guy goes and turns it completely upside down and makes it "KEEP MILLEN!" You know because he's a Bears fan and all....and Millen sucks so he wants him to stay....get it? I'll hold for your laughter......done? Now let me move on to another winning member of society. This guy was sitting about four rows in front of our witty Bears fan and he was so proud of his sign that he stood up a total of FIVE separate times and made the full 360 with his wonderful sign that he spent all night making on his MS Word program. Want to know what it said? Here you go....

"All I want for Christmas is for the Lions to FIRE MILLEN!"

GET IT?!?! It's Christmas Eve.....the jackass was wearing a blue button down shirt as well which means that not only is he an idiot who thinks he's WAY funnier then he is, he's also a bit pretentious by going to a Lions game in a dress shirt. He also was really starving for the attention as he really wanted people to laugh at his sign. I had to fight my urge to throw something sharp at him every time he stood up with a shit eating grin on his face that said, "Man am I so funny for this great sign. LOOK AT IT!! IT'S SO FUNNY! IT VALIDATES MY EXISTENCE AS A HUMAN! AND LOOK, I'M WEARING A BUTTON DOWN SHIRT AT A SPORTS GAME! I'M JUST THAT IMPORTANT!" Maybe he was trying to give the impression that he was a rich business jackass with that shirt but I think the upper deck seating showed what kind of poser this jerk was....makes me sad to be a Lions fan (among the many other reasons)

So at the beginning of the game it was a pretty hostile crowd. They were pretty much booing the Lions for everything they did....and then a funny thing happened. The Bears fans were such jackasses about standing up and cheering loudly that the Lions fans got pist and started actually cheering for the Lions again. Apparently nothing galvanizes a crowd on Xmas Eve like hatred for your fellow drunken fan.

I then sat and watched the horror as the worst 13-2 team in the history of the NFL went toe to toe with the worst team in the NFL and as time slowly ticked towards the big moment I was saddened by the fact that I was at an NFL game but more interested in seeing if a bunch of morons were going to leave their seat at a completely arbitrary time to show a few people, who really could give a damn, that they are "fed up."

Well not only did the 8 minute mark come but the clock was even STOPPED on a change of possession at 7:59! What serendipity! So I looked around my section and around the stadium (you get a great view from the upper deck) and.....NOBODY FREAKING LEFT!!! Maybe...MAYBE 20 or 30 people actually got up and left but you couldn't even tell. So there you have it, all this talk for the past two weeks about this grand protest that was going to really show the Fords that Lions fans have had enough and then....nothing....

Now I was on record as saying this was a stupid idea in the first place as the tickets were already paid for so all you're really doing is depriving yourself of what you paid for, not the Lions, but if you're going to talk so much shit about doing it you had better follow through. This was ALL OVER the papers and sports talk radio for the past two weeks, and now we Lions fans look like a bunch of bitches. I'm sure Matt Millen was sitting up in his suite calling us a bunch of pussies. Fantastic. Then to top it all off the Lions decide to actually try and blow the number one draft pick by actually winning this game....until Mike Williams dropped the winning touchdown pass in the endzone with no time on the clock. Fucking Lions....days like this make me wish Michigan would just play on Sundays too....ugh.....

3 comments:

Chad said...

It is lucky for Millen that both Ford and the fans are completely incompetent.

Art McGregor said...

Yeah, more Michigan. That ended well again this year...

Jai Eugene said...

The whole thing is sad. I just linked millen to the Bama coaching search
http://loserwithsocks.wordpress.com/2006/12/26/build-a-bear-workshop-day-72-mal-moore-meets-matt-millen-at-the-motor-city-bowl/